Rants from the Floribbean

3.14.2006

Drew Brees is a Saint

Drew Brees is Heading to New Orleans



Six Years - 60 Million!!!

Go Boilers!!

It's going to be great to see Drew in Black and Gold again. I have to say there is some serendipity in this move for me personally.

I have visited New Orleans a handful of times over the years, a majority of my visits were with my friends from Purdue. Those were some of the most fun and special times of my life.

The first night I spent in The Crescent City however, was with my good friend Heather Weitz Smith.

It was the last stop on a whirlwind run through Galveston, TX, via Knoxville, Memphis, ARKANSAS, Dallas and Houston - We went the LONG way. We were flirting with boys, getting tattooed and being 22. On our way home we stopped for a night in New Orleans. I remember thinking how this place was like no place I had ever been. I felt like I was in a different country. It was only one night but we made the most of it.

Once I got to Purdue Mardi Gras became an annual tradition for my crew. We would caravan down I-65 for 16 hours, shove as many people as we could in a hotel room and party our asses off for 48 hours. You will see things at Mardi Gras you never thought possible. My Mardi Gras Days were pre Girls Gone Wild so I think our craziness would probably seem tame compared to what goes on there today. But for my needs, they way it was then was perfect.

Last Year Steve and Rebecca Judd invited a bunch of us down for Jazz Fest. They were packing up and heading out after Rebecca's graduation so it gave us one last hurrah. If you have never been, Jazz Fest is a must do. What a cool atmosphere, great music and the food, HOLY MOLY, the food is amazing.



New Orleans is about so much more than partying too. There are world renowned restaurants, the French Market, The Aquarium, the beautiful homes in the Garden District, the Art Galleries. Over the years I was able to experience and appreciate it all.

It was so hard to watch that city literally come apart at the seams last August. I thought about all the people who were so negatively affected by not only the storm but also the complete and utter lack of procedure or plans to help them. That disaster is still affecting so many people to this very day.

I look forward to reconnecting with N.O. via the Saints and my loyalty to Drew. Now if I could just figure out a way to get him traded to the Eagles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home